Friday, November 21, 2014

Catching up

 
 
 

 
 
18 to go...18 to go...18 to go...18 to go...18 to go...
 
We are moving right along. I completed #15 today. WOOT WOOT! This week was one of those weeks that had 3 "blue thing" days. I just realized that I have not covered exactly what the "blue thing" is. Let me see if I can get this right...and have it make sense.  Here we go!
 

As you might imagine, the site of my surgery is structurally, well...odd. It is not flat and smooth. This presents a problem when you're trying to target an area for radiation, The technical term for the "blue thing" is a bolus. The bolus is used as a tissue compensator. In the documents submitted to the FDA, .decimal (dot decimal), the company that makes them, explain their function like this:

The Bolus Compensators are designed by the customer's treatment planning system to block radiation from hitting critical structures and healthy tissue while guiding the radiation to the target area.
 
I tried to find a good sample photo but wasn't successful. That means I get to try to describe it. Each piece is custom made based on the scans of the patient. It is then manufactured from machinable wax. One side is like a molded chest plate - it fits all of the wacky contours of my chest. This is put in place every other treatment day.  And that's all I've got to say about that.

Today after treatment I took a little field trip. I have been working remotely since the end of August but I haven't been to the office since just after surgery, in May. Well today I made the trip to Louisville to visit my work family. It was SOOOO good to see everyone. I was able to see my old friends and meet some new folks, too! Our staff has doubled in size since I went on leave. How about THAT for good news. It felt so good to have some normal and I sure did feel the love. I was straight up exhausted when I got home but it was worth it.  Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome after so long. I love you guys!!

Have a great day everyone, I'll be back later.

Love to all,
Andee

No comments:

Post a Comment